Gender-Neutral Housing

Branner Hall

Gender-neutral housing allows friends of different genders to be assigned to the same apartment. All Graduate Single Residences allow Gender-neutral/gender-inclusive Housing. Transgender students can apply through a confidential process; interested students should contact Housing Assignments.

Students interested in this option must:

  1. Apply for first-round of assignments in May.
  2. Apply as a group with your desired group member(s), prioritizing residences where you can fill the whole apartment.
  3. After you receive your room assignment, file a Gender-neutral Room Assignment Request.
  • Log on to Axess.
  • Under the Student tab, click on the Housing & Dining link.
  • Click Forms and Petitions on the main menu.
  • Select the request type Gender-neutral Room Assignment Request.
  • Fill out the form to make your request.
  1. Graduate student room assignments are made by the Graduate Housing Front Desks.

Who can take advantage of this program?

This program is intended for students who wish to share a room or apartment with friends of a different gender. It is not intended for romantic couples, who are encouraged to apply for Couples without Children Housing.

No Random Roommates

Students will not be matched with a random, opposite-gender roommate through this process.  This is why it is very important to file a Gender-neutral Room Assignment request in Axess after receiving your  assignment.

Roommate Pairings Match Apartment Size

Keep in mind that your intended roommate pairings must match the size of the apartment type you are assigned.

What happens if one of the roommates cancels their assignment or leaves mid-year?

If one student cancels or leaves during the year, the remaining student(s) can request another roommate from students who have been assigned to the same housing location, or the entire space will revert to single gender (based on the majority of students remaining in the room/apartment). This may involve reassignments of some students.

Gender-neutral Housing and Transgender Students

Transgender students can either use the option available above or can apply for housing through a confidential process.

Confidential Process

Transgender students who need special accommodation due to gender identity/expression should contact Housing Assignments:

  1. The request will be handled through a confidential process and staff will not ask for more information than is required to meet students' housing needs.
  2. Placement priority will be given to students who notify Housing Assignments well in advance of the annual Draw or Lottery and who require accommodations based on their gender identity/expression.
  3. Later requests will be handled as appropriate spaces become available.

Housing Assignments recognizes that students are not all alike but have different needs and desires. We will address concerns on a case-by-case basis.

Roommate Conflicts

If a student has a conflict with a roommate because of their gender identity/expression, the student should see their Graduate Life Dean first. Residence Deans are full-time, professional staff members who have taken part in training specifically on gender identity/expression issues. Other resources available include the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center.